This is a guide to manually remove Google Chrome extensions & themes from PC. Why would you need that? Google Chrome is one of the best browser with lots of flexibility and reliability. This is a light-weight browser as compare to other famous browsers out there. It won’t lag a bit if you are using it properly. Everything about this browser is great and anyone can download it on their PC. Not just PC, it is available on multi-platforms. Everything is a great about it, so why would you need to remove extensions or themes?
Recently I got an issue with Chrome. It doesn’t let me uninstall the extension that I wanted to. I restarted my PC several times and tried removing it but it was all in vain. There are many reason why it won’t let me uninstall the extension and some themes that I wanted to. There might be any virus on my browser on that specific things that I wanted to remove or maybe the updated Chrome was buggy for me.
Also read: How to Change YouTube Theme
If you are facing such issues, you don’t need to download countless anti-virus or uninstaller software. There is a manual way to remove Google Chrome extensions & themes. You don’t need to be a pro to follow this guide. There are just few steps, follow it carefully and you can do your job like a boss. Before going anywhere further, you should know that this method is for PC that runs Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 & Windows 10.
Manually remove Google Chrome Extensions & Themes
To remove Google Chrome’s extensions or themes, you need to find the files on your PC manually. To do that, there is a simple and most efficient method. Follow the guide given ahead.
- Completely close Google Chrome from your PC.
- Now from your PC’s keyboard, hit Windows + R to open the run dialog on you PC or go to start menu, search and open Run Dialog box. [Note: The Windows key contains the Microsoft flag.]
- In the Run dialog box, copy and paste this %LocalAppData%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions and hit enter. [Note: Copy only the bold text from here.]
- This will open a folder with several other folders with weird names. To find out which is which, copy and search the file name in Google. It doesn’t make sense at all, but it will let you know the name of the extension that’s bothering you.
- Now delete the folder of the extension or theme that you don’t need.
- Relaunch Google Chrome, and check extension menu from there. That extension will be gone from there as well.
This is how you can manually remove Google Chrome extensions & themes from your PC. This method also helped me find a malware that I deleted successfully. If you have any issues or want to add something in this guide, feel free to comment below.