There is no getting back from the advantages of technology, of course there’s no denial for that. We’re now living in 21st century and we know that how important the computers are for our children’s educational and grooming. The mobile phones let us know about our children’s location, keeping them safe and sound. Since the introduction of technology, the life of our children has become easier.
Despite of many advantages, it also has many disadvantages. No matter how amazing the technology is, there’re plenty of harmful effects of screen time on the kids. Kids spend most of their time using mobile phones and computers.
What exactly the screen time is?
First of all you must be familiar with what exactly the screen time is. Well! The time spent in front of screen of any electronic appliance is known as screen time. It’s the time spent looking at the screens of tablets, mobile phone, computer, laptop, television, DVD player or iPad etc.
What’s the average screen time of kids?
Do you know what the average screen time of kids these days is?
According to Kaiser Family Foundation:
- Kids under age 6 spend 2 hours a day usually watching Television and videos on DVDs or smartphones.
- While the kids and teens from 8 to 18 years spend 4 hours of screen media per day watching television while spending an extra 2 hours on computer playing video games.
How many children owns electronic devices?
There’s no ending when it comes to the development of technology and we’re spoiling our kids on choice by handing them screens by ourselves. According to a survey:
- A smartphone is used by 69% of children.
- Tablets are now owned by half of 8 to 15 years old.
- About 65% of 12 to 15 years old kids have their own three or more electronic devices.
Why should we reduce the screen time of our children?
It’s now necessary to moderate the screen time of our children. However, a little research is done to monitor the disadvantages of overusing the electronic devices. But now the parents and professionals are getting concerned about the overuse of screen by kids.
Playing video games has become the worst kind of addiction for these days, which is limiting them from being productive. They’re being less focused on studies and losing connection with friends and family.
The overuse can cause substantial changes in your child’s behaviors. In addition, it also lead to severe sleep impairments and you must be noticing a change in the sleeping patterns of your child.
The time spent on screen can also lead to problems in the later life of your children, particularly related with memory and focus. Scientists now fear that we’re giving rise to the hyperactive generation.
Kids are feeding on the imaginations and ideas presented by others by watching movies and playing games. They’ll lose sight of their own and they’ll never get a chance to personally think and feel about different things.
What’ll be consequences if you don’t reduce the screen time of your children?
It’ll be useful to first take a look on the consequences, making it easier for you to understand that how the overuse of technology is spoiling our children and affecting all aspects of their life.
Effects on physical health:
- Decrease In Muscle Tone
- Long-Term Back Pain
- Heart Diseases
- High Blood Pressure
- Poor Eyesight
Effects on mental health:
- Attention disorders
- Addiction To Social Sites And Games
- Increase Social Pressure
- Cyber Bullying
- Happy Slapping
Effects on social life:
- Less Communication
- Few Close Friends
- Lack Of Social Skills
How should parents reduce screen time for kids?
- Set an example because children copy what parents do. So it you’re constantly busy on your smartphone, how’ll you control your child. So spend less time on screen so your child can follow your example.
- Spend as much time with your kids as you can. Spend time with them playing outdoor and indoor games. It’ll teach your kids that they can also have fun away from technology.
Talk to your children about the consequences of overusing the screens. Keep the talk friendly do they can easily understand the disadvantages.
- Ban all the electronic devices from your child’s room. It doesn’t mean to ban the use of screen, make the use limited for your kids by setting a fix time for the use of screens.
- Make sure your kids don’t reach electronic devices after bedtime, so they can have a good night sleep.
- Encourage your kids to get involved in other activities, like cooking and painting together.
- Reduce the screen time by putting password on all electronic devices, your permission must be granted become the use,
- Plan a screen-free day each weekend with kids.
- Don’t buy your children their own smartphones and electronic devices until they’re mature enough.
- Let your children earn the screen time by helping in household chores.
- Make the meal time the family time and turn off the TV while having meals.
Support your child for other social activities.
- Buy them good books, billboard games etc. to have fun without screens.
- Always praise the behavior of your child without the screens.
- Set limits for your children, but always get stick to them.
- Encourage them to look at different things with their own perspective.
- Always monitor the time your kids are spending on screens.
- Fix time for the home work and help you kids with it.
I hope reading this article will help you to make a decision for reducing the screen time for your kids. I will be sharing more of these tips for parents. Make sure to check the Lifestyle portion in our website.
Reducing the screen time will surely help in the development and self-grooming of your kid.
Because no matter what, a balance is always required.
If you’ve any other way to reduce the screen time for kids, then don’t forget to share it with us in comment box.