WhatsApp users spend over two billion minutes on calls each day. On Monday, the Facebook subsidiary announced a new feature that allows voice and video group calls for up to four people.
In the past, you’ve needed to use a third-party app to make group video calls with your WhatsApp contacts, but now the functionality is available within the app for iPhone and Android. If you can’t find it you should update your app.
The benefit of using WhatsApp’s new video call feature is that all its calls, including group video calls, are end-to-end encrypted, just like its normal messages and calls. This means that the chat is protected and can’t be intercepted by outside hackers.
Here’s how to use Group Video Call On WhatsApp:
- Open WhatsApp. Navigate to the home screen and select the ‘Calls’ option.
- Touch the ‘Calls’ Icon in the top right corner. This will take you to your contacts.
- Scroll down and select a contact to call.
- Choose the ‘Add Participant’ option in the top right corner.
- Select the third participant from your contacts and confirm that you want to add them to the call.
Repeat this process to add a fourth participant and you’ll be ready to have a group call.
Yes, it’s interesting that you can only video chat with a maximum of only four people on the platform. This is the same for Instagram, which only recently received the group call update after its parent company Facebook announced the new feature back in May. (Instagram and WhatsApp are both owned by Facebook).
But hey! It’s a start. Maybe in the next few updates, WhatsApp will increase the number of people you can video call with.
We think this new feature is pretty cool and convenient. Those old days of connecting everyone at Skype are over, phew!